Some time ago I made a simple python script that allowed you to pack multiple images into the R, G, B and A channels of a texture. I used it when I was playing around with the default shader for Unity. I redid the script yesterday to allow for a bit more flexibility and just to make it more user friendly. Check out the video to see how it works. It uses Pillow to do all the image file operations, the script tries to download it using pip in case you don’t have it in your Python directories.
For a while now we’ve been tinkering and playing around with a drone racing game at LuGus Studios. I made the early prototype that got the attention of Immersion RC and Fatshark, just about the biggest names in the FPV world. They loved what they saw and wanted to invest in making a proper drone racing game. So I got to working again and put built a game ready model of Immersion RC’s Vortex drone and put together a small teaser trailer.
Warning: big wall-o-text and I’m ranting and venting. But there are some pictures near the end, so there’s that.
We solely rely on Unity at the studio I work for at the moment. Mainly because before Unreal Engine 4 was released, options were limited and Unity’s pricing and flexibility was pretty awesome. The landscape in 2015 has changed quite a lot since Epic launched Unreal Engine 4. It changed even more when Epic gloriously decided to get rid of the monthly $19 price point. Everyone and their dog had the opportunity to try out Unreal and the differences were pretty obvious. For me, one of the best things shipping with UE4 is the material editor.
Depending on when you read this, you might see and orc/ogre as the background of this site. I modeled it ages ago but never got around to texturing it. Mainly because I’ve always been extremely shitty at texturing. I find it pretty difficult to paint in Photoshop on a 2D image and then imagine it on your model. Going back and forth always took me a lot of time and I never enjoyed doing it.
But I’m really finding my groove in Substance Painter. Painting directly on the model with the wide range of tools the program offers is extremely fun. Or, as I once described it some time ago: